Research interests: I seek to solve fundamental problems in chemistry by applying cutting edge experimental techniques. I am especially interested in NMR and MRI because of their conceptual beauty and exceptional usefulness. My goal is to further improve their performance by combining advances in physics and chemistry of nuclear spin hyperpolarization with novel methodologies of signal detection. My long-term goal is to broaden the application boundaries of NMR/MRI for investigating chemical processes at the micro- (organelles in living cells) and macro-scale (industrial-size chemical reactors). Check my website for more information.
Education and professional experience
2015–2017 Postdoc, Vanderbilt University Institute of Imaging Science, United States, advisor: Prof. Eduard Chekmenev
2012–2015 PhD, Physical Chemistry, Novosibirsk State University, Russia,
2010–2012 Department of Catalysis and Adsorption, Boreskov Institute of Catalysis, Russia
2007–2012 Specialist in Chemistry (B.S. + M.S. degree) summa cum laude, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Novosibirsk State University, Russia
- Berkeley Postdoctoral Association Professional Development Award (2018)
- Medal of the Russian Academy of Sciences for young scientists (2015)
- Haldor Topsoe catalysis company scholarship (2013–2015)
- Schlumberger company scholarship (2010–2011, 2011–2012, 2014–2015)
- Kirill Zamaraev Foundation scholarship (2015)
- BP company scholarship (2013–2014)
- Winner of the “Easy about difficult” competition (2014) for best popular article
- Winner of youth research and innovation competition U.M.N.I.K. (2013)
- Vladimir Potanin Foundation scholarship (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- D. A. Barskiy, L. A. Ke, X. Li, V. Stevenson, N. Widarman, H. Zhang, A. Truxal, A. Pines. Rapid Catalyst Capture Enables Metal-Free Parahydrogen-Based Hyperpolarized Contrast Agents. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2018, 9, 2721–2724.
- D. A. Barskiy, A. M. Coffey, P. Nikolaou, D. M. Mikhaylov, B. M. Goodson, R. T. Branca, G. J. Lu, M. G. Shapiro, V.-V. Telkki, V. V. Zhivonitko, et al. NMR Hyperpolarization Techniques of Gases. Chem. Eur. J., 2017, 23 (4), 725–751.
- D. A. Barskiy, R. V. Shchepin, A. M. Coffey, T. Theis, W. S. Warren, B. M. Goodson, E. Y. Chekmenev. Over 20% 15N Hyperpolarization in Under One Minute for Metronidazole, an Antibiotic and Hypoxia Probe. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138 (26), 8080–8083.
- D. A. Barskiy, A. N. Pravdivtsev, K. L. Ivanov, K. V. Kovtunov, I. V. Koptyug. A Simple Analytical Model for Signal Amplification by Reversible Exchange (SABRE) Process. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2016, 119 (6), 996–1006.
- D. A. Barskiy, K. V. Kovtunov, I. V. Koptyug, P. He, K. A. Groome, Q. A Best, F. Shi, B. M. Goodson, R. V. Shchepin, A. M. Coffey, K. W. Waddell, E. Y. Chekmenev. The Feasibility of Formation and Kinetics of NMR Signal Amplification by Reversible Exchange (SABRE) at High Magnetic Field (9.4 T). J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136 (9), 3322–3325.
Visit Google Scholar Profile for full publication list.